History of the Kinnhuette
ANNIVERSARY: 20 YEARS OF REBUILDING THE KINHUETTE (2000 – 2020)
In 1903 mountain guides from Randa and Taesch built the Kinhuette above the Kintole between the Dom (4545 m above sea level) and the Täschhorn (4490 m above sea level). The grandfather of the former hut owner Viktor Imboden († 2020) was one of their co-builders. At that time, the building materials had to be hauled up from the valley in tedious and sweaty work. The old Kinhuette served hunters, hikers and climbers.
For the latter, it was mainly used for climbing the Taeschhorn via the NW side. Incidentally, the same route was also chosen by the first climbers in 1862, back then directly from Randa.
At the time climbing the Kingletscher became increasingly difficult, the hut was only rarely used for climbing the Taeschhorn from 1960 onwards.
Thus, between 1950 and 1963, the Kinhuette finally served the Grand Dixence as accommodation for their workers, who were employed at a water intake at the foot of the Kingletscher. After completion of the tunnel construction, Zermatt Guido Biner took over the hut, who then sold it in 1996 to the Taesch mountain guide and ski instructor Viktor Imboden.
old Kinhuette build 1902
new Kinhuette build 1998
A long-awaited dream of Viktor Imboden now came true. After the necessary approval procedures and the building rights contract with the citizens of Randa, the conversion of the Kinhuette could be tackled in the spring of 2000. In order to be able to meet today’s demands, the hut had to be supplied with water and electricity and equipped with a modern toilet. In order to be able to accommodate at least 30 visitors, the hut had to be increased at the same time.
Together with his brother and colleagues, the foundation of the old hut was completely removed first. Subsequently, new strip foundations were created on which a Dachstein-brick building was built.
Only local wood was used for the interior design. The Kinhuette now consists of a lounge, 30 beds, kitchen and hut manager room. Until 2020 the electricity was generated by the own water turbine. Now the hut is using solar power.
On July 20, 2001, the hut was inaugurated in the presence of numerous interested and enthusiastic guests by Viktor’s godchild, Pastor Jean-Pierre Brunner.