SALÜ & WELCOME
on the Kinhütte in the canton Valais in beautiful Switzerland,
2584 meters above sea level
Closed as of 18th Sept. 2023
The Kinhütte is expected to be open again from 22nd July 2024.
The Kinhuette is located in the canton of Valais in the Mattertal and is beautifully nestled at an altitude of 2584 meters in the midst of the four-thousanders of the Mischabel group. The hut enthron high above the Wildkin at the foot of the Grabenhorn. The three and four thousand meter peaks proudly join in all around: Täschhorn and Kinhorn, Leiterspitze, Breithorn, Matterhorn, Gabelhorn, Wellenkuppe, Schalihorn, Weisshorn and Bishorn.
The Kinhütte is a popular starting point for alpine tours and hikes. It is also an ideal place to stay overnight, as well as for a stop with hot food throughout and a unique view of the Matterhorn and the surrounding mountains. The fresh air and the healthy climate form the perfect setting for a stay with us in the Kinhütte.
We look forward to your visit!
THE HUT – OVERVIEW
30 beds in 3 rooms each 6 to 12 beds
All beds are equipped with a duvet and pillows. Don't forget to bring your own sleeping bag
Sitting and dining room
Large sun terrace with a wonderful view of the Matterhorn
Washrooms and toilet in the cottage.
Solar shower available.
Unfortunately, dogs cannot stay overnight in our hut for healthy and hygienic reasons, but are welcome as guests during day.
- The Kinhuette is privately owned by the family Imboden.
- It is open from end of June to the end of September, depending on weather conditions.
- The supply of the hut with food and firewood as well as the removal of waste and empties is mostly done by helicopter.
- The electricity at the Kinhuette is generated by a solar system.
- Since we have to use energy sparingly ourselves, we generally do not offer mobile phone charging station.
- Unfortunately, we do not have WiFi
LOCATION, ARRIVAL AND ASCENT
The Kinhuette is a privately run shelter. It is located above Randa in the canton of Valais in Switzerland.
This original hut sits enthroned on aridge high above the Kintole, an imposing gorge. The view of the Matterhorn is worth the climb itself.It was built by mountain guides from Randa and Täsch and served as accommodation for hunters, hikers and mountaineers. Due to the changes in the Kingletscher, the hut was only rarely used by mountaineers from 1960 onwards. Between 1950 and 1963, the hut served as accommodation for the construction workers who created a water intake at the Kingletscher for the Grande Dixence reservoir.
Today, the Kinhuette is a stage location on the Europaweg or a starting point for high-altitude tours to the Dom, the Taeschhorn or the Grabenhorn.
It is off the beaten path. That’s why it is the ideal place for mountain hikers who are looking for peace and tranquility.
The Kinhütte offers accommodation with a unique view of the Matterhorn and the surrounding mountains. Day visitors are also very welcome. Hot meals are offered to guests at the hut throughout the day.
southwest of the Grabenhorn at 2584 m
1:25000 (Randa 1328)
- By car via the Rhone Valley to Visp: Randa can be reached by car from Visp in about 30 – 40 minutes. The route leads through the wildly romantic Nikolaital.
- By train to Randa: Less than 3½ hours from Zurich Airport or 4 hours from Geneva Airport. Visp is the transfer point to the Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn. From Visp, the railway line runs through the Nikolai Valley, past small, idyllic villages to Randa. Once there, you have to go to the village center and start the ascent to the hut.
- If you want to travel by bus, you can first go to Visp. There you have to change trains and continue by train to Randa, from where you can start the ascent to the hut.
- In Randa steht beim Bahnhof ein öffentliches Parkhaus zur Verfügung. Folgen Sie dafür der Beschilderung. Auf dem Parkplatz an der Hängebrücke kann auch geparkt werden. At the train station in Randa is a public parking. Follow the signs. You can also park in the parking lot at the suspension bridge.
- Good hiking shoes
- Hiking sticks (recommended)
- Suitable clothing depending on the weather (rain protection recommended)
- Plan a mountain tour carefully and adapt it to your own conditions, the weather and the time of year. The weather can change quickly in the mountains. Therefore, take suitable clothing and enough provisions and water with you. Turn back in good time if the weather is uncertain.
- Inform others about the tour and if possible never go alone.
- Do not leave marked paths and do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- Be considerate of other hikers as well as plants and animals.
- Pay attention to warning signs that draw attention to the constant danger in the riverbed and on the banks of the watercourses below dams and water intakes.
From Taesch via Europaweg and Edelweissweg to the Kinhuette (ca. 3h 30)
From Taesch via Europaweg and Tierfäd to the Kinhuette (ca. 4h 30 )
From Randa via Wildi, Wildikin and Sprelbode to the Kintole and via Edelweisweg to the Kinhuette (ca. 3h 30)
From Randa (station) direction Höüuschbiel via Geeren and Lärchberg to Europaweg, and via Grüngarten and Tierfäd to the Kinhütte (ca. 3h)
From Camping Attermenzen via Bergji, Springelbode and Edelweisweg to the Kinhuette
From Camping Attermenzen via Wildi, Tschuggen, Walden and Tierfäd to the Kinhütte
From Camping Attermenzen via Wildi, Tschuggen, Grüngarten and Tierfäd to the Kinhuette
From Täschalp to the Kinhütte (ca. 4h 30)
Info on Outdooractive
Good to know
The flower Edelweiss can be admired on the way to the hut. Chamois, ibexes and marmots linger along the way and sometimes even come up to the hut.
The Kinhuette is fantastically situated in a wild environment.
„Only where you set on foot, you have really been.“
We ARE OPEN
from end of June unti mid/end of September
- A reservation to stay overnight is always needed.
Send us an e-mail or call us.
- For changes and last minute cancellations please call us.
- During summer season we kindly ask you to contact us by phone directly.